Renaissance Ruminations

A smorgasbord of erratic thoughts on parenting, politics, grilling, marriage, public speaking, and all the other things that make life interesting.

Name:
Location: Burke, VA, Northern Virginia, United States

Monday, September 11, 2006

Fall 2006 Virginia Blogosphere Book Fair

It is time for a new Virginia Blog event; The Fall Book Fair!

When I was a little guy-you know, during the Nixon administration-we had book fairs in the fall and spring. During that magic week the school library was loaded with books to purchase. You checked out the merchandise, placed an order, and about six weeks later you got your books.

At this point the internet generation is thinking “Six Weeks? Why so long?”

As an adult, I see various publications having their version of a book fair…Time, MSNBC, the Washington Post and others publish a list of upcoming books at the beginning of the various seasons. Occasionally bloggers will offer their ideas on good books to read.

I like this. It gives me an advance idea of what I want to buy, what I want to get from the library, and what I will hope to find a year later at the Green Valley Book Fair.

Nowadays, amidst the partisan sturm und drang of the internet, it seems we are getting away from discussion and the sharing of ideas and more and more into violent barbs, which then turns the internet in general and weblogs in particular into echo chambers where everything is said and nothing is heard.

So, in an effort to facilitate a greater sense of intellectual comity to the Virginia blogosphere, Renaissance Ruminations will host the Fall 2006 Virginia Blogosphere Book Fair. Please send me a list of books you recommend others read, and I will put it up with your comments. Structure will be similar to that used in the Virginia Blog Carnivals.

These can be old favorites, new discoveries, or just books you think folks will enjoy! If you have already posted a list of books you like with your reasoning, semd me the links and I will post that instead of a book list.

Deadline for submissions is 9/25/2006, with submissions published shortly thereafter. Please limit submissions to five (5) books to renaissanceruminations@hotmail.com

Information needed: At minumum, at least the title, author. I would also like to hear why you recommend it. Amazon/Bn link and/or ISBN number is not needed, but is appreciated.

It’s a chance to let folks know what you are reading, and a chance to get reading ideas from a bunch of sources you might no otherwise converse with!

I look forward to hearing from you!
Bwana

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm In!

I'll need about three days to figure which books to include, I could just throw my entire library in there. But you say five, so I'll get my favorites in there.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:32:00 AM  
Blogger J.R.Hoeft said...

I'm not sure I have the time to read all five of MC's books. He does some heavy lifting.

Great idea, Bwana!

Sunday, September 17, 2006 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Bwana said...

Jim-

All the more reason for you to kick in a few books to help out us non-heavy lifters!

Monday, September 18, 2006 8:57:00 AM  
Blogger Vivian J. Paige said...

Good idea. I sent my list (although only 2 books on it).

Friday, September 22, 2006 5:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home