Renaissance Ruminations

A smorgasbord of erratic thoughts on parenting, politics, grilling, marriage, public speaking, and all the other things that make life interesting.

Name:
Location: Burke, VA, Northern Virginia, United States

Friday, September 15, 2006

Alas, I am out of step!

Here I am thinking the matter of interest in the national elections in general and in Virginia in particular is whether the GOP could energize its base.

How silly of me!

Apparently, I had the right idea, but the wrong party. See Tim Graham and CC and Ward Smyth for commentary on how it is the democrats in Virginia who have a base problem due to Jim Webb's candidacy. The A-Team has it up too, but you probably figured that out.

Once again, I am stylishly out of step, like the time in graduate school I attended a wedding early one May morning.

I was resplendent in a tasteful blue seersucker suit, bow tie, and white ducks-perfect, I thought for the event, the time of day, and the weather-warm, but with a slight piedmont breeze. At the reception I was accosted by a Grand Dutchess of Etiquette who, fortified by several gin and tonics, thought it was proper to politely but pointedly mention that I--Faux Pas Alert!-- was wearing white shoes before Memorial Day.

Still, just as that May day I thanked the Dutchess that day and calmly reached for more ham biscuits, today I will stick with my perspective and reach for my coffee. Webb's affect-whatever it may be-stops at Virginia's borders. The matter of the disaffection of the GOP base and the possibility of diminished turnout is in play in every federal election this fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home