Renaissance Ruminations

A smorgasbord of erratic thoughts on parenting, politics, grilling, marriage, public speaking, and all the other things that make life interesting.

Name:
Location: Burke, VA, Northern Virginia, United States

Monday, September 18, 2006

Henry and Lynwood...George and James should follow your lead

This weekend I reread portion of The Governors of Virginia, with it's chapter on Lynwood Holton and several references to Henry Howell...two plainspoken men who held little back. I disagree with many of the positions each of them held, both in terms of ideology and political tactics, but I admire their directness. Neither of them them were big fans of obfuscation and half truths.

This AM I read about the Allen-Webb MTP event. I wish they were reading the same book...because I for one am getting tired of the shadow boxing and lack of forthright statements about the questions that are and will be driving so much of the character issue portion of this campaign.

I missed the Meet the Press mano-a-mano between Senator George Allen and former SecNav James Webb. Some other things got in the way, plus I figure the war over who won would be carried on in print, on the web, etc., so I could catch up later, and would be better able to catch up on what I missed.

Little did I know. The Washington Post ran a sidebar on the debate, and I must admit what I saw infuriated me.

Regarding the "macaca" matter:

On Allen's use of the slur "macaca," in referring to a Webb campaign volunteer of Indian descent

Russert: Where did the word come from? It must have been in your consciousness.
Allen: Oh, it's just made up.
Russert: Made-up word?
Allen: Just made up. Made-up word.
Russert: You'd never heard it before?
Allen: Never heard it before.

He never heard it before, just made it up on the spot? Oh my sweet lord....this has to rank just behind "the dog ate my homework" as the weakest excuse ever. Apparently the Allen campaign has chosen the misceasance over malfeasance way of approaching the matter...which is not exactly a ringing endorsemenet of his abilities as a US senator or as a candidate for higher office.
Webb was no better when it came to his past printed statements:

On a 1979 magazine article by Webb saying women should not serve in combat


Russert: Was it wrong?
Webb: I don't think it was wrong to participate in the debate at that time. It's been 27 years. . . . I am fully comfortable with the roles of women in the military today.

But was he right to say what he said (well, write what he wrote, actually)?

For all his claims to be a forthright fellow, Webb will not be honest and say whether he thinks the opinion was wrong...so much for his inclusion in the updated volume of Profiles in Courage.

More to the point, politically he cannot say anything.

If he says he was right, then he will anger women voters. If he says he was wrong, then Allen can point to that and say it is evidence that people grow, etc., and use it to dispel the whole Flag and Noose matter.

We need a lot more focus on issues, and a lot more forthright effort from the candidates...and we need it now, because Sunday's coming and the election is right around the corner.

As Paul Simon might have said were he a politico:

"Where have you gone, Howell and Holton? The Commonwealth turns its lonely eyes to you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home